Powered By Blogger

Friday 17 October 2014

Adam Mickiewicz Monument in Cracow

17th October 2014


Between the Cloth Hall and the Church of St. Mary on Main Market Square, there is a monument commemorating the great Polish poet from the 19th century - Adam Mickiewicz. The poet helped the Poles to survive partition of  Poland and his poetry was a source of national remembrance and national identity.
Mickiewicz has never been to Cracow, but after he died his remains were transferred to Cracow, and he was buried in the poet's inside the cathedral.


The statue of Mickiewicz was destroyed by the German in 1940 at the beginning of Nazi occupation.
After WWII, it was reconstructed in 1955.


Political gatherings often take place around the statue, and students also come here before their final exams.

11 comments:

  1. European squares are so nice.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. definitely you are right and so popular with peoplw

      Delete
  2. I think the restoration of so many memorable places in Poland is astounding.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kay most memorable place are renovated now.

      Delete
  3. Replies
    1. the most important and popular meeting place in Cracow

      Delete
  4. Do you like his poetry? I think I will try looking some up as I don't thing I've ever read a Polish poet.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cynthia, honestly I read his poetry in my secondary school. Now there are much more choices than poetry I hope so maybe in my retirement. But his poetry is not so easy ... But you can try ... and let me know..

      Delete
    2. Wislawa Szymborska and Czeslaw Milosz Nobel Prize Wiiners

      Delete